- Built by William Griffith, the first funicular went into aporation on November 17, 1879. The cabins scaled up and down the escarpment by means of a counter weight water process and steam power.
- In 1907, Alexander Cummings converted the funicular to electrical power.
- On July 2, 1945, a massive fire destroyed the structure. Reconstructed in 1946, the new funicular was equipped with metal shelters.
- In 1978, major renovations were undertaken and glass cabins offered a panoramic view.
- In 1998, the funicular was entirely revamped with modern technology.
- In 2004, the funicular celebrated 125 years of services. A book was published and the event was commemorated with a statue.
- This is the only funicular of its kind in America
House of Louis Jolliet
The main entrance of the funicular is located in the historic House Louis Jolliet, 16 Petit-Champlain Street, in the heart of Old Quebec and near Place-Royale. This house was built in 1683 by the architect Baillif for Louis Jolliet. He lived here until his death in 1700. It was restored in 1978.
Louis Jolliet was born in Quebec City in 1645. In 1666, he devoted his time to fur trading. Most importantly, during one of his expedition he discovered the Mississippi River with Father Jacques Marquette. Jolliet was also cartographer and hydrographer. He was the first Quebec born canadian to make history.